The Knot

As Seen on The Knot

Sunday, August 5, 2018

FELIPE MACARAYA FASHION DESIGNER


Felipe Macaraya is a couturier who creates custom clothing for some of New York’s most elite fashion conscious clientele.   He is known for creating clothes from uniquely ornate and elegant fabrics. Felipe started his love of fashion early in the Philippines and eventually moved to New York City to study at the Fashion Institute of Design. His atelier is located in Gramercy Park and he has been creating custom made clothing for over 20 years.

Below is an interview with Felipe.

Q) How did you become a couturier?
A)  I was always interested in clothes and women looking beautiful. While in college I had the opportunity of working as part of a design team for a designer in the Philippines. After I moved to the United States, I worked at Bergdorfs which inspired me to pursue a degree of fashion design  at Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT).


Q)  One of  the  hallmarks of your atelier is creating custom gowns with very intricate and ornate fabrics. How did you develop such an expertise?
A)  I learned the foundations about fabrics from college.  In addition it is the amount of time I have been working with different fabrications. I study it, especially when I am handling the fabrics. I know what can be achieved from certain fabrics.

Q) If a client brings you some intricate fabric, how do you approach making a dress or gown?
A) It starts from a collaboration with the client. I will tell the client what I can design with that specific fabric. I listen to the clients desires and then I would draw a sketch for the design of the dress.

Custom made bridesmaid dress

Hand sewn petals for dress

 Q) What is the process?

A) I use a muslin to determine the shape, the measurements, pattern and the proportions. Because ornate fabric is so expensive, we first need to make the muslin because we can’t afford to make a mistake. Then I make a lining/ first layer of the dress, we use for fitting. Once that is perfected then we will start to use the material, which may involve draping, lace overlay, hand sewing whatever is required to finish the creation.





Contact information
FELIPE MACARAYA FASHION DESIGNS

134 East 22nd Street # 105
New York NY 10010
Phone: 212 254 1979
Email: Fmacaraya@me.com

felipemacaraya.com

Instagram: felipemacarayafashiondesigns             

No comments:

Post a Comment